Why Does It Take So Long To Buy A House?!2/26/2021
Understanding the Home-Buying Timeline
Buying a home can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. We often get the same question from clients: “Why so long?!?”
There are several moving parts behind the scenes once your offer is accepted. You have lenders, underwriters, title examiners, inspectors, and appraisers all working
together toward the same end goal: getting you into your new home!
We have put together an example of the most common closing timeline of events that happen
after your offer is accepted to help you better understand the process.
- Earnest-money check deposited within 48 hours
- Make loan application
- Arrange for property inspections
- Attend property inspections
- Make repair requests of seller
- Confirm that all information requested by the mortgage company has been submitted
- Review any HOA documents
- Confirm that repairs have been completed
- Promptly deliver any additional information your lender requests
- Appraisal is completed (could be in week 4)
- Arrange for mover
- Walk through home to verify completed repairs
- Obtain Cashier’s Check for closing
- Schedule the date for settlement and signing of papers
- Schedule a transfer of utilities.