A Smooth Relocation Experience6/3/2022
Excited about your move to Michigan? We are too! In this article by Amber Berger, we’ve compiled the perfect moving checklist for you to have a smooth relocation experience.
Take Care of Your Belongings
To reduce the hassle of moving belongings it’s best to start early.
- Create an Inventory: Go room by room and create a list of items you want to move into the new home and those that need to be discarded.
- Donate Items in Good Condition: According to The Chicago Green Box, kitchen appliances, utensils, linens, and furniture can be donated to a local charity or the non-profit of your choice.
- Organize a Garage Sale: If you need some pocket cash, organize a garage sale or list your items on online marketplaces such as Facebook and Craigslist.
- Hire Movers: According to Move.org, 2-3 weeks before your move, make arrangements with movers. This can include paying an advance and blocking their services for your moving date.
Complete All Formalities
Here are some key considerations to keep in mind before and after relocating:
- Visit your local post office and submit a request for a change of address. This will ensure your mails are automatically being forwarded to the new address.
- Similarly, contact your service providers of gas, electricity, and internet and inform them of the cut-off date. If the same provider is present in your new neighborhood, you could simply request to transfer their services.
- If you’re a business owner, consider registering your business as a Michigan Limited Liability Company post-move.
- After moving you will also need to apply for a Michigan driver’s license and update your vehicle registration and insurance.
By choosing to relocate to Michigan, you've picked one of the best locations to live in. We look forward to having you in the Great Lakes State.